The legislation regulating the biocide products has been reviewed in the last years, and many preservatives usually used in detergency are now facing new restrictions. This, together with the trend to formulate with substances respectful of the human health and the environment, limits the alternative options to preserve homecare products.
One of the best-known preservatives used in Food, Cosmetics and Pharmaceutical products is the Sodium Benzoate, but so far it was not possible to use it in detergency for not being registered for this use. The manufacturer of Sodium Benzoate, EMERALD KALAMA, partner of QUIMIDROGA, has registered it as preservative under the EU Biocidal Products Regulation (BPR), making Sodium Benzoate available to homecare product manufacturers for the first time, under the brand Kalaguard® SB.
Homecare formulators can now also take advantage of Sodium Benzoate’s efficacy to preserve homecare products thanks to a molecule respectful of the human health and the environment, used in many other applications.
|Kalaguard® SB is a green label solution with an excellent chemistry profile, allowing formulators to preserve household care products while meeting regulatory requirements and consumer demands. Some of the benefits of Kalaguard® SB are:|
– Non-sensitizing and non-irritating.
– Nature identical molecule.
– Readily biodegradable.
– Classified as a low-risk substance by the European Commission.
– Complimentary to formulations with skin-friendly attributes.
– Effective at pH levels up to 7.0.
– Authorized for use in products certified under Green label programs, such as, Ecolabel, Ecocert, Nordic Swan, and more.
– Highest purity (99.9 %)
In efficacy challenge tests for a fabric softener, dishwashing liquids, and neutral pH cleaners, Kalaguard® SB demonstrated the ability to economically and effectively control the growth of bacteria, yeast, and mold at 0.35 – 1.25%, and at pH levels up to 7.0. Efficacy testing showed that Kalaguard® SB is effective in inhibiting a broad range of undesirable and potentially harmful microorganisms, such as:
- Candida Albicans (yeast)
- Aspergillus Brasiliensis (filamentous mold)
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa (gram-negative bacterium)
- Staphylococcus aureus (gram-positive bacterium)
- Escherichia coli (gram-negative bacterium)
Kalaguard® SB is available in Spain and Portugal.
Detergency in Quimidroga
Beside the Sodium Benzoate Kalaguard® SB, Quimidroga has various solutions for the formulation of household care products. Please, consult them in the product catalogue.